MILWAUKEE, WI — More than six months into the new coronavirus pandemic, colleges are struggling to resume in-person classes and, in some cases, reverting to online courses only days into the new semester.
Such challenges raise a question: Is a college degree today worth the actual cost?
Enter Money magazine. The publication this week released its annual ranking of the best colleges for the money. The list, which includes 10 schools in Wisconsin, is meant to assuage the financial anxiety associated with the high price of college in the United States.
The 2020 list includes more than 700 colleges and universities. Colleges included in Money’s rankings had to meet certain criteria, such as having a graduation rate at or above the median and having at least 500 students. Colleges were then ranked based on 26 factors in three categories: quality of education, affordability and outcomes.
Each category is weighted equally in calculating the rankings.
See the full methodology used by Money.
The following colleges in Wisconsin were included on this year’s list. The number next to each school represents its national ranking according to Money.
151 University of Wisconsin-La Crosse La Crosse, WI
175 University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Eau Claire, WI
176 Milwaukee School of Engineering Milwaukee, WI
189 Beloit College Beloit, WI
205 University of Wisconsin-Platteville Platteville, WI
262 University of Wisconsin-Stout Menomonie, WI
273 University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point Stevens Point, WI
275 Lawrence University Appleton, WI
According to Money, the top 10 colleges for your money are:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Stanford University, Stanford, California.
- Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
- Duke University, Durham, North Carolina
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia
- Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
- Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee
- University of California-San Diego
- University of California-Davis
See the full rankings and read more about Money’s list.